Youth Employment Webinar
Policy Connect and the APPGs for Skills & Employment and Youth Employment in partnership with the Youth Employment Group.
This will be a joint event held by the APPGs for Skills & Employment and Youth Employment, organised in partnership with the Youth Employment Group.
The Covid-19 pandemic has had a severe effect on the UK economy and employment levels. Some of the industries worst hit by the effects of lockdown, such as retail and hospitality, are predominantly staffed by young people; how many of these businesses will continue to recruit once the lockdown is over remains to seen. In addition to this, young people are traditionally some of the hardest hit by economic recession, and so it’s vital that we begin now to think about how to assess and take action on youth employment. Given the scale of the challenge ahead, we must galvanise a joint response from Whitehall, local government, and private and third sector organisations, in order to avert a crisis of youth unemployment and economic inactivity.
The event will take place 10.30-12pm on Thursday 18th June. It will be chaired by Barry Sheerman MP and James Daly MP, and will include discussion on the implications of next Tuesday’s ONS labour market figures, the outlook for youth employment levels, and what actions may be taken by policymakers. Confirmed speakers include:
- Sam Windett, Chair, Youth Employment Group / Policy Director, Impetus
- Kirstie Donnelly MBE, Chief Executive, City & Guilds
- Ciara O'Donnell, Youth Ambassador, Youth Employment UK
- Seema Malhotra MP, Shadow Minister for Employment
- Cllr Bob Sleigh OBE, Deputy Mayor, West Midlands Combined Authority
- Cllr Sean Fielding, Cabinet Lead for Employment, Skills and Digital, Greater Manchester Combined Authority / Leader of Oldham Council
For more information please contact simon.kelleher [at] policyconnect.org.uk (subject: Youth%20Employment%20Event%20)