Redeploying skills in UK Manufacturing
The All-Party Parliamentary Manufacturing Group (APMG) will hold a webinar on Redeploying Skills in UK Manufacturing, chaired by APMG Co-Chair Jack Dromey MP, on Tuesday 28th July 2020 at 2-3pm.
The APMG has assembled an expert panel to discuss redeploying skills in the manufacturing and engineering sectors in a post-COVID-19 economy that will feature both high levels of unemployment and persistent skills gaps across industry.
This session will bring employers together with skills providers and other stakeholders to consider how industry and the education and training sectors can respond to this phenomena.
The panel for the event are:
- Tim Thomas, Director of Labour Market and Skills Policy at Make UK
- David Ivell, Chief Techology Officer, Enginuity
- Dr Hilary Leevers, Chief Executive, Engineering UK
- Neil Bates, Chair, the Edge Foundation
The panellists will cover:
- An update on the current position of manufacturing employment in the UK
- What is likely to happen to employment in manufacturing in the coming months
- How the manufacturing sector can redeploy skills which become available as a result of COVID-19
- How can the skills system respond rapidly to a simultaneous rise unemployment and skills shortages within the sector
- How can politicians support the redeployment of skills in manufacturing and engineering in both the immediate and longer term
The presentations will be followed by a Q&A in which attendees will be given the chance to ask questions of the expert panel.