LAUNCH 'Future Gas Series 1: Next Steps for the Gas Grid' with Dr Alan Whitehead MP, James Heappey MP & Drew Hendry MP
Policy Connect and Carbon Connect are launching the first report in the three-part research project: 'Future Gas Series 1: Next Steps for the Gas Grid' with MPs Dr Alan Whitehead, James Heappey and Drew Hendry from across the parties.
This event will formally launch the Future Gas Series: Part 1 - Next Steps for the Gas Grid. This report focuses on the future of the gas distribution network and considers in detail its role in the transition to a low carbon economy.
- Jonathan Shaw, Chief Executive, Policy Connect, & Former Environment Minister
- Dr Alan Whitehead MP, Shadow Minister for Energy and Climate Change
- James Heappey MP, Member of Parliament for Wells
- Drew Hendry MP, SNP Spokesperson for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Sarb Bajwa, Chief Executive, IGEM
- Steve Edwards, Director of Regulation and Commercial, Wales and West Utilities
- Maxine Frerk, Director, Grid Edge Policy
Breakfast will be served upon arrival.
The Future Gas Series draws on the recent work which has demonstrated the potential for low carbon gas to contribute to the UK’s attempts to decarbonise heat at an affordable cost (as well as make a contribution to this objective in other sectors) and assesses the practical steps which would be required to achieve this.
This research project is broken up into three separate but linked inquiries, each culminating in a published report. The inquiries examine the following three broad areas:
- Issues related to the gas distribution network and local storage
- Issues related to the production and bulk storage of low carbon gas
- Issues related to consumers and the development of compatible appliances
Part 1 of this series has brought together independent and industry experts with parliamentarians and other policymakers to consider the issues in this area in depth and make recommendations on useful next steps.
Future Gas Series: Part 1 is sponsored by IGEM.
“I am very excited to be involved with Carbon Connect’s Future Gas Series. This research project will allow us to look in real detail at the potential offered by low carbon gas to supply decarbonised heat. It will also provide the perfect platform for extensive dialogue between experts, key stakeholders and policymakers.” Dr Alan Whitehead MP, Labour Member of Parliament for Southampton Test & Shadow Energy and Climate Change Minister.
“I am delighted to be collaborating with Carbon Connect on this useful research project. This type of work is essential to determine the next steps which are required to reduce the UK’s emissions while maintaining a secure and affordable supply of energy.” James Heappey MP, Conservative Member of Parliament for Wells.