User login

  • New Feature

    Government announces Private Rented Sector CO regulations

    Regulations will be introduced requiring private sector landlords to install CO alarms in the rooms 'considered most at risk', and to check the alarms at the start of any new tenancy.

    Echoing recommendations made in the 2015 APPCOG inquriy report, 'Carbon Monoxide: From Awareness to Action', fire & rescue authorities will also have a greater role to play, following announcements made by Penny Mordaunt MP [LINK]Housing Minister Brandon Lewis MP [LINK] and a Government review response document [LINK]. 

    Read more
  • New Feature

    New APPCOG report published

    A new report; 'Carbon Monoxide: From Awareness to Action', launched on 19th January.

    Led by Baroness Finlay (APPCOG co-Chair) and Dr Rachel McCloy (Director of the Centre for Applied Behavioural Science, University of Reading), the report presents recommendations and analysis on improving safety in a range of environments. 

    The report is available to download and view here. Please contact us to request a hard copy.

    Follow the APPCOG on twitter (@APPCOG_UK).

    Read more
  • New Feature

    BBC: Windermere boat deaths prompt CO alarm call

    BBC Cumbria has reported on Marine Accident Investigation Branch findings recommending the mandatory fitting of CO alarms on new recreational craft, following two deaths on Lake Windermere.
     
    Kelly Webster, 36, and Lauren Thornton, 10, of Leyland, Lancashire, were killed by generator fumes on a boat in 2013.
     
    Read more
  • New Feature

    London Live feature on carbon monoxide warnings

    Baroness Finlay and Gordon Samuel from the Katie Haines Memorial Trust have been interviewed on London Live TV.

    They highlighted the importance of carbon monoxide alarms in the home, and urged viewers to ensure they were protected.

    The entire interview is available to watch by clicking here.

    Click here to watch the new Katie Haines Memorial Trust film discussed.

  • New Feature

    Carbon monoxide detectors Bill discussed, postponed to Friday 27th March

    No discussion was possible on the Household Safety (Carbon Monoxide Detectors) Bill in the House of Commons on January 23rd.

    Due to extended discussion of earlier business, second reading of the Bill sponsored by Andrew Bingham MP (@HighPeakAndrew) only received limited debating time in September before the House adjourned for recess. Hilary Benn MP and Heather Wheeler MP also spoke in support.

    Resumption of discussions is scheduled for March 27th 2015.

    Read more
  • New Feature

    Blackburn family in carbon monoxide detector plea

    A family from Lancashire is urging people to fit carbon monoxide detectors after four of them fell unconscious as a result of the toxic fumes.
     
    The potentially lethal odourless gas is believed to have leaked from a faulty boiler in the Patel family's home in Blackburn.
     
    Ahmed, 18, found his mother Yasmin, father Yusuf and brothers Muhammed, 15, and Anas, 14, collapsed.
     

The All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (APPCOG) is the leading forum for Parliamentarians to discover, discuss and promote ways of tackling carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK.