APMG Reconstitutes and agrees direction for year ahead
On Tuesday 14th January 2020, the APMG met to reconstitute for the new parliament. The event was also an opportunity for parliamentarians and associate members to feedback on the proposed work programme and to add additional themes for consideration.
APMG industry members and parliamentarians attended the meeting, including a number of new intake MPs. During the reconstitution, Jack Dromey MP and Mark Pawsey MP were elected as Co-Chairs, and the group Vice Chairs elected were: Vicky Ford MP, Jonathan Reynolds MP, Lord Bilimoria, Baroness Burt, Drew Hendry MP and Barry Sheerman MP who stepped down from his previous role as Co-Chair.
The agreed themes for the group for the year ahead were:
Green manufacturing and the opportunity of Net Zero
- Particularly in relation to COP26
International manufacturing and trade
- In relation to future trading arrangement
Industrial Strategy, local and national
- To ensure industry gets the certainty it needs going forward
Innovation and science
- Enabling innovation at all levels – initial, development and adoption
Diversity in STEM
- Increasing diversity in the sector, but not restricted to gender or race
- Encouraging government and business to buy British made goods
An additional concern was raised in relation to IR35 and the effect this legislation could have on industry and its need for flexible working. Baroness Burt stated that the group would write to HMRC and ask for clarity on the issue.
Drawing on these themes, an event programme will be shaped for the first half of the year and invitations will be shared with members in the coming weeks.