APPGDA National Data Strategy First Reactions Webinar
Following the recent Government response to the National Data Strategy (NDS) consultation, the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Data Analytics are holding a first reactions webinar on Tuesday 25th May, 9-10am.
The webinar will consist of a panel discussion, with key speakers expressing their initial thoughts on the NDS, before opening up the floor to a wider discussion and Q&A.
- Opening remarks from Eve Lugg, Policy Connect
- Opening remarks from Daniel Zeichner MP (Labour), Shadow DEFRA Minister and Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Data Analytics
- Lightning talks from panellists: Their initial thoughts and recommendations for moving forward
- Q&A and Panel Discussion
- Closing remarks and next steps
In response to the NDS consultation, Policy Connect wrote to the Secretary of State highlighting three key areas where the strategy needed to be developed:
- More emphasis to be placed on the ethics and standards which data collection and use should meet in order to develop public consent, cooperation and openness.
- Related to the issue of public trust, clearly define the critical role of local and regional authorities. Suggested a National Data Ethics Council with representatives from the regions, business and academia to combine the strengths of national leadership in the provision of overarching consistent frameworks and data infrastructure, coupled with insights and engagement at the level that works best.
- A need for stronger focus on fairness and opportunity, by establishing “Equality” as a pillar in its own right in the up-front diagram. This would help ensure that fairness and opportunity are embedded across the strategy as a whole, and that that no individuals and user groups are left behind as the Strategy is developed and implemented.
If you would like more information about the event or have any accessibility requests, please contact the event coordinator, eve.lugg [at] policyconnect.org.uk (Eve Lugg).