User login

BBC News reports on Corfu carbon monoxide case

BBC News reports on Corfu carbon monoxide case

13th May 2015
Holiday firm Thomas Cook “breached its duty of care” in the case of two children who died from carbon monoxide poisoning while on holiday in Corfu, an inquest jury has concluded. CLICK HERE TO READ THE BBC ARTICLE DIRECTLY. Jurors returned a verdict of unlawful killing of Bobby and Christi Shepherd, who were aged six and seven. The children had been overcome by fumes from a faulty hot water boiler at their hotel in October 2006. The children, from Horbury near Wakefield, were on holiday at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel with their father, Neil, and his now wife, Ruth, when they died. They were found by a chambermaid in a bungalow at the hotel. Their father and stepmother had also become ill and were in a coma when they were found but recovered in hospital. The inquest heard the faulty hot water boiler had been housed in an outbuilding attached to the side of the bungalow where the family were staying. West Yorkshire Coroner David Hinchcliff said he would make a series of recommendations to the holiday industry at a later date.